Why You Need A Yellow Pen

Yellow is rare. You won’t find many pens in this color. This means you don’t have to worry too much about temptation. There just aren’t enough out there to break you. In fact, you can probably go into any pen store or pen show and leave with nothing because they didn’t have anything in the right yellow.

EXCEPTION: The Parker Duofold in Mandarin Yellow is hotter than a June bride in a feather bed, but cost enough for a weekend in Vegas. The ‘Citrine’ isn’t quite as nice, but costs less.

I have four: Caran d’Ache 849 ballpoint, Pelikan M200 fountain pen, and Lamy Safari fountain pen and ballpoint. Only the 849 is the ‘right’ yellow in my mind, but ‘wrong’ yellow is better than no yellow.

Yellow is a high energy color. So is orange, but orange looks like a traffic cone and yellow looks like the sun – which makes you feel better? It stimulates thought, and reminds me of a beach. But orange shares most of the other fine traits of yellow.

There’s no doubt about ownership. Who else owns a yellow pen? This is why I have yellow luggage. Do you want to steal a yellow bag and then try to blend in?

Yellow is a high-visibility color. Easy to find in a bag, in the dark, and on the ground. Ok, in early summer out on my lawn there’s a little competition.

Yellow is distinctive. “Oh, you mean the guy with the yellow pen?”

Yellow is one of the manliest of colors. Scuba tanks, hard hats, heavy equipment, caution signs, race cars, and many uber cool watches are yellow.

Is your pen collection dominated by safe colors – black, silver, gold? Get yourself a yellow pen, and see if it doesn’t improve your state of mind. You might be surprised.

• Pamela Keown April 25, 2012, 11:00 am

Steve,
    Yellow is nice but Orange is grand! 🙂

• Steve April 30, 2012, 5:40 pm

Yes, orange is grand, and dare I say even more rare than yellow. It would be my second distinctive pen color choice.

• Pinneguri April 25, 2012, 12:54 pm

Original 🙂

• Ted Allen April 25, 2012, 5:22 pm

Check out the yellow Noodler’s Ahab

• Steve April 30, 2012, 5:39 pm

Hi Ted – when I get into fountain pens again (a matter of time) I will do exactly that. Been a lot of good press on the Ahab.

• Adam April 28, 2012, 6:04 pm

It’s funny that I got a yellow Safari before reading this point, although my Safari is more green shade so it is closer to the M200. Your Safari looks like it’s on the red side of yellow, close to orange. Is it a camera thing or do you have a out of production color? Still, that’s a nice collection. It makes me want to get a yellow vanishing point. Otherwise, thanks for writing such a nice blog. I also liked your earlier post on the difference between an a4 notebook and a5 notebook. I personally think the a5 sizes better for myself but I wonder if my judgement is clouded because the Rhodia webnotebook is only available in a a5 size.

• Steve April 30, 2012, 5:38 pm

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for the kind words and your comment!

My Safari is pretty orange for a yellow. It’s close to traffic sign yellow. The Pelikan is way in the other direction, and the Caran d’Ache is in the middle. They’re all good colors. If I didn’t already have 2 VP’s I’d be looking to get another.

Do give a large notebook a try. I’m finding I have only grown to like my large book more, and miss having a small book less and less.

• Adam April 28, 2012, 6:09 pm

Ouch. I apologize for the errors in the previous comment. I should have known not to write it on the IPad.

• Promotional Business Pens May 15, 2012, 5:17 am

I really like the look of the LAMY pen. How does it feel when you are using it? Looks rugged, like the kind of pen you use in between using a wrecking ball to demolish a house 🙂

• Corey June 14, 2012, 8:24 am

Steve, it’s fun reading your post. Do you like the Aurora Talentum in yellow?

• Steve June 14, 2012, 7:40 pm

I’ve looked at the Aurora, but the days of buying $300 fountain pens are over until my kids get older 8-). Seriously, I think about getting another yellow FP, but I’ve been happy with pencils and ballpoints lately.

I like the Talentum, and Aurora seems to be a good brand. I haven’t seen one in person in a long time, but my recollection was the yellow was perhaps a bit orangeish, but not as orange as the Lamy.

• Vikram July 18, 2012, 9:34 pm

I like the Caran d’Ache 849; I actually have one in YELLOW, just like yours. I’ve also got a yellow Parker Vector rollerball sitting around somewhere, just don’t know exactly where 🙁

Yellow is absolutely my favorite color, the color of the sun.

• Suj May 26, 2015, 11:58 am

I recently saw the Lamy mandarin orange pen and was wondering if I should get it. The yellow dimension has got me thinking. Great perception of colour and it’s psychological impact